Monday, April 26, 2010

So what's the Point?

Why do you think Paul writes this letter to Titus? No, I'm not asking what was the purpose of the letter. I mean what caused Paul to write this letter. This isn't a casual hey how's it going kinda letter. Paul is pretty direct and to the point with his message, almost like he is responding to questions that someone asked. Well, here is my theory (and it's just my thoughts). I think Paul received a letter from Titus that contained a bunch of whining. "Paul, these people won't listen to me. I keep telling them the right thing to do, but they keep doing what the other people tell them to do. They lie and cheat and act like a bunch of Cretans." Well, I think it went something like that!
In verse 5 of Titus 1, Paul says that he left him there for a reason and that he already told him what to do. "The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you." (NIV) So Titus already knew what to do, but it was hard work, and he was getting discouraged. Boy I can relate to that! The work gets hard, with very little results, and I get discouraged too and that's when I throw myself a big ole pitty party. Streamers, balloons, the whole works. So I don't Blame Titus for feeling down, but Paul just says, "GET BACK TO WORK." Ya know, you never really see a lot of mercy come out of Paul.
So what is he supposed to do? "Straighten out what was left unfinished..." Or your version might say, "to set in order the things that are wanting..." That phrase "Straighten out" or "Set in order" (Another Greek Freak moment) comes from the Greek word EPIDIORTHOO. That is where we get our word orthodontist; which is someone who straightens teeth; or orthopedic, like a mattress, that helps to align or straighten your back. This is a medical term!! Why does he use a medical term to instruct Titus? I think it is because these people are broken and need to be fixed.

It's like they have a broken arm and Titus needs to set it.
It's gonna hurt and it's gonna take time, but if you don't straighten it out; then it will always be wanting, unfinished or just plain crooked.
Isn't that just like us? We want the healing, but not the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment